A Tool for Living





As most of you now by now, I am not only an interior decorator, I am studying to be a life coach as well.  Honestly, I already do a fair amount of coaching, prodding, educating, consulting, hand holding, hopefully inspiring, and listening to my design clients daily.  You become fairly intimate with people when you are working in their homes.  It's not THAT MUCH of a stretch, right?




The trick will be for me to figure out how all the pieces fit together and how I will use them.  When to put on and take off each of my different hats, metaphorically speaking: designer vs. coach.  As a coach, I am learning so many tools.  Tools to help reframe thoughts, challenge us to see things from a different perspective, dig deeper than we thought possible, or just strive to be a better version of who we already are.






Metaphors are a big part of my new tool box, and one of my favorites (no surprise) is the Living Space Tool.  The theory behind it is that we each have an area in our home that is telling to the state of mind we may be in; a disorganized closet, a desk loaded with paperwork, a basement long overdue for an overhaul.  These spaces within our homes almost always parallel an area of least satisfaction in our lives.  In a non-threatening way, deeply embedded feelings may come to the surface using this and other metaphor tools.  It's really fascinating!





Think about it.  What area in your home do you feel least satisfied with?  It almost always corresponds to an area of your life that reflects unsatisfactory feelings or avoidance.  Can you find a similarity to an event or issue in your life reflective of this space?  This is obviously oversimplified for the sake of a short blog post but it's interesting exploration... Food for thought and as Mike Dooley says, "Thoughts become things, choose good ones!"


If you are interested in coaching, email me: carrie@carrieleskowitzinteriors.com.  I  am beginning to take on clients for a nominal fee while I hone my skills.  It's good stuff!



"Awaken to Awareness"  My new coaching motto ~ Like it?





1 comment:

  1. I have just stumbled across your blog and I am a big fan! I agree that life coaching and interior design have many crossovers.
    Where do you source contract fabrics from when designing?

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO